BYU Mint Brownies

If you have never had these brownies, you HAVE to try them. If you HAVE had them, then you know how amazingly moist and delicious they are. I am usually skeptical about recipes that are supposedly from restaurants or bakeries. They never seem to turn out as good when I make them (and I swear I can cook!). I know I'm not alone. But THESE brownies were just as good. They were incredible. Just as delicious as the BYU bookstore.




MAKES ONE 9-BY-13 PAN OF BROWNIES.
PREP AND COOK: 90 min. COOL: 1 hr.

1 c. margarine
1/2 c. cocoa
2 Tbsp. honey
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped walnuts

CHOCOLATE PAN FROSTING

8 Tbls butter (1 stick)
4 Tbls unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup whole milk
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted


MINT ICING

5 Tbsp. butter
dash of salt
3 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
2 1/3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. mint extract
1-2 drops green food coloring

1. Melt margarine and mix in cocoa. Allow to cool. Add honey, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Add nuts. Pour batter into a greased 9-by-13 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool.

2. Prepare mint icing: Soften butter. Add salt, corn syrup, and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Add mint extract and food coloring. Mix. Add milk gradually until the consistency is a little thinner than cake frosting.

3. Spread mint icing over brownies. Place brownies in the freezer for a short time to stiffen the icing.

4. Prepare chocolate frosting: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, 2-3 minutes. Stir in cocoa powder and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring, and then remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar until frosting is thickened and smooth. Pour and spread warm frosting on top of the layer of mint frosting. Let them cool before cutting (I cut mine a little too soon, and while they were delicious warm, they were quite messy!)

Stumble Upon Toolbar Add to Technorati Favorites add to kirtsy

7 comments:

  1. Hmm.. it looks delicious!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    You're also welcome to check on my pages;
    http://sereneplaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got me hungry now! I'll be trying these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should automatically hate these brownies because of their name(I bleed RED), but I am a sucker for mint brownies. I might just have to make these someday (but omit the BYU *wink*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made these the other day and fell in love with them. I had intended to share a bunch with friends, but they never actually made it out of our house. I hope you don't mind if I share this recipe on my recipe blog too. Don't worry I'll be sure to give the credit to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta try these :D Cant believe Ive never had them growing up in Utah :D hubby will love em, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just stopped by to look at one recipe, but I can't stop scanning through these and THIS one looks so delicious I think I might actually cry. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only have I tried them but my Debate team sells them on game days to make money. They are gone in a flash. One of our school colors is green and our mascot is the Bronco so we renamed them Bronco Brownies. I first fell in love with these at BYU!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know if you try out any of these recipes, and if you have any requests! :)